Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wedding talk Wednseday

ahhh to be married... <3
(Click HERE to watch our wedding trailer)
 
I love being married other than for the obvious lovey dovey, mushy gushy reasons that we all dream about. Most of all I love being married for the most amazing reason, knowing that the Lord is pleased with me and that together we are living a life for Him.
 
During the six years that Carlos and I dated, we were never apart for more than 24 hrs. At the end of each night when it was time for him to go home, he would kiss me good night and every time I cried. I longed to be with my love and best friend 24/7. Being married is everything I ever dreamed of and more! The first three months, however, were a bit tough for me. Even though I was finally with my beloved, I struggled with guilt and the thought of being away from my family. There where nights I would just stay up and cry and I didn't want to make my husband feel bad so I did the best I could to hide it. Eventually, he found out and when he did, not only did I feel guilty and sad, now I felt like the worse wife ever! haha but my husband never got upset, never made me feel worse, he just held me tight and kissed me all over my face. Every time my husband comforts me, I love him even more!

When I think of marriage, now more than ever, I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance..."  I cannot think of a single day where these verses weren't put to the test. I have been married four months now and in that time I've learned just how flawed I am and how desperately I need Jesus. Marriage has humbled me, brought me to my knees and has shown me how undeserving I am of Christ's love.
 
As wives and ladies in waiting, we have to remember that there is NO perfect man and there is NO such thing as a perfect relationship. Yes, Carlos does hurts my feelings, yes Carlos gets on my nerves (I'm sure I get on his nerves too, rarely ha) and yes, sometimes we bicker about the smallest most insignificant things but we have to remember "love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." We are called to forgive each other just as Christ forgives us every day.
 
When I think of being a wife, I constantly remind myself of 1 Peter 3:5, "For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master." This verse does not sit well with my flesh, for I have a mind of my own and often think of myself and my ways being right. But God instructs us as women to be submissive, to listen and obey our husbands. We must deny our flesh each and every single day by desiring to please our husbands which in doing so brings glory to God and honor to our husbands. 

I encourage you to read Proverbs 31:10-31 each and every single day. Our aim as wives should be to bring our husband's honor and these verses tell us exactly how we can. Practice being selfless, practice putting others before yourself, and never stop spending time reading and studying God's word. Proverbs 31:15, 18 reads, "She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household..her lamp does not go out at night." There will be nights where you are the last one to go to sleep because you are still cleaning, ironing your husband's work shirts for the next day, and preparing for tomorrow. You may have to wake up hours before your husband to seek the Lord and to have breakfast ready for him, but all of this is done in love because we were created to be their helpers. (Genesis 1:18) We were created to make life easier for them so that they can do more for Jesus. 

Aim to be the wife, God created for your husband. Pray for them daily, respect them, and love them unconditionally. 
 
"What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."
Matthew 19:7

No comments:

Post a Comment